Whether you’re just starting out or you’ve been coaching for years, you need to know how online coaching platforms work if you want to grow your business.
In this article, we review the best platforms and their essential features – from coaching portals to results tracking – so you can make the right choice and supercharge your practice.
Is An Online Coach Platform Worth It?
Online coaching platforms are absolutely worth it if you want to coach others virtually.
To get the most value from your platform, however, you first need to appreciate what online coaching is all about.
How Do They Work?
Online coaches deliver the same guidance and support to their clients as in-person coaches, but the coach-coachee relationship takes place in a digital environment. That’s where platforms come in – they provide the environment in which you and your client interact, as well as the tools that you need for virtual coaching, which allows you to essentially run your business from any connected device.
So how can you choose the right online coach platform? What exactly should you expect from your software?
While coaching platform features vary between providers, they typically include a range of tools that enable you to perform your key coaching tasks.
While platform features will vary between providers, they typically include a range of tools that enable you to perform your key coaching tasks:
- Sending coaching exercises and homework
- Collecting client results and responses
- Providing feedback
- Encouraging or following up between sessions
- Delivering group programs, workshops, and/or e-courses
- Sharing files, manuals, and other learning resources.
The screengrab below shows how platforms can also simplify the coaching experience for your clients, by giving them one central place in which to interact with you and all their exercises:
Benefits of Coaching Platforms
Regardless of your coaching specialty—business coaching, career coaching, life coaching—the right platform can be an all-in-one toolkit for planning your sessions, sharing your resources, and staying organized.
But there’s a lot more you can do with digital coaching platforms; for example, you can:
- Automate your client follow-up, keeping coachees engaged with their work to improve their results
- Centralize, organize, and streamline your practice, whether you’re creating a library of your own resources or digitizing your client onboarding
- Scale your business, by offering group coaching, digital coaching packages, and e-courses, and
- Offer a seamless, professional client experience by standardizing your processes, tools, and overall coaching journey.
Essentially, a platform can be a great way to scale and grow your business, which is almost impossible when you’re running everything manually behind the scenes. An all-inclusive tool that creates more time, communicates your added value more overtly, and simplifies your clients’ lives is a useful tool to have.
How Does A Digital Portal Work?
As a practitioner, your goal is to help others solve a problem or achieve a goal.
That means creating readiness, buy-in, and commitment—essentially, all the factors that will make your clients want to do the work and engage with every step of their coaching journeys.
The best platforms will facilitate this by providing you with a “coaching portal,” or an organized Dashboard from which you can perform all your core coaching functions.
Simultaneously, your clients can log in to their own “portal” and receive your exercises, communications, nudges, and more.
The image below is a great example of how you can use Quenza as a digital portal to simplify and streamline your client experience:
- You log into your Quenza Dashboard and search the Expansion library for a “mindfulness meditation” to customize. After personalizing the exercise, you can share it with your client while pre-scheduling reminders for them to complete it, all in a few clicks.
- Your client receives a notification in the Quenza client app and can easily complete their Activity on the go. Their Quenza portal automatically generates a PDF copy of their results so that they can refer to exercise any time they log into the app.
5 Best Life Coaching Platforms 
If you know you need a coaching platform but you’re not sure which one to go with, the table below is a great place to start comparing and contrasting your options.
For our ultimate review of the best life coaching platforms, take a look at this guide: 3 Best Online Life Coach Platforms Reviewed 
|Quenza is a powerful and fully customizable tool for coaches who want to design their own solutions. Using simple basic drag-and-drop tools and any multimedia they wish to include, the online coaching software allows professionals to build homework, assessments, exercises, and more – all of which can be privately shared through the free client app. It’s ideal for:|
|Good For||Coaching Management, Life Coaching, Executive Coaching, Fitness Coaching, Business Coaching, Mental Health Coaching, Video Coaching|
|Coaching platform that offers:|
|Good For||Coaching Management, Practice Management, Life Coaching, Executive Coaching, Fitness Coaching, Business Coaching, Mental Health Coaching|
|Nudge is an online coaching platform that offers:|
|Good For||Coaching Management, Life Coaching, Fitness Coaching, Health Coaching, Wellness Coaching, Nutrition Software|
|All-in-one customer relationship management system that includes features like:|
|Good For||Coaching Management, Customer Relationship Management|
|This app is geared towards health, fitness, and wellness coaches with features like:|
|Good For||Coaching Management, Life Coaching, Fitness Coaching, Nutrition Software, Wellness Coaching, Fitness Software|
|More Info||Coach Catalyst|
7 Essential Practice Management Features To Look For
Professional coaches can easily spend hours on day-to-day management tasks each week, including but not limited to:
- Designing and personalizing coaching exercises
- Following up with clients between sessions
- Finding and sharing files such as spreadsheets, PDFs, and forms
- Onboarding new clients, and
- Documenting coaching sessions.
One of the huge advantages of a coaching platform is that it can create more time for you by automating a lot of these tasks.
Look for a platform that includes specific features designed to help you organize, centralize, and streamline your practice:
- Note-taking and documentation tools
- Coaching activity builder (including the ability to upload your own video, for video coaching)
- Session planning or “Pathway” building tools
- Client reminders and notifications.
Additionally, if you want to grow your practice and revenue, you’ll need an efficient and effective way to help even more clients at scale.
The best platforms will make it easy for you to offer engaging group coaching, workshops, and e-courses while tracking progress and improving your client experience.
- Group coaching tools
- Live results tracking.
Top Tips For Virtual Health & Career Coaches
With a good digital platform that offers all these tools, there is an almost endless range of coaching niches that you can specialize in.
How To Offer Group Coaching Using An App
As your business scales, your client list will expand from a few clients to hundreds. A specialized platform like Quenza will make it simple for you to expand your programs, too, with its dedicated group coaching feature.
Quenza Groups gives you a range of tools for offering programs, classes, and packages at scale, for example:
- Bulk client import – register a cohort of up to 50 clients in a few clicks, enrolling them digitally into your class
- Effortless resource sharing – send customized Activities to your whole group right away or schedule them for automatic delivery later (you can also schedule reminders, notifications, and updates for all participants at specific intervals!)
- Plan your course out step-by-step, including session materials and between-session homework
- Track progress, bulk export Activity results as PDFs, and view statistics for your whole group
- Give your participants a PDF library of all their completed exercises in their coaching portal
- Share files instantly and from anywhere with your entire class or cohort
The biggest advantage of Quenza Groups, however, is that you can save your program and package Pathways forever.
You can customize them endlessly to suit different audiences, add more steps, or scale your program up and down to create different products. Quenza Groups is everything you need to create multiple income streams and remove the limits on your coaching revenue!
If you’re looking to grow your practice and revenue, it’s worth putting in the time now to find the best platform for your coaching practice.
It’s never too early to build scalability into your business model, so choose wisely and set yourself up for success!