If you’re in the business of helping others get healthy, a nutrition coaching app can be like your wingman when it comes to driving lasting, positive behavior change.
We’ve reviewed the best software for your nutrition business coaches in this article, so that you can start using it to free up time and help others achieve their wellbeing goals.
Can Nutrition Coaching Apps Help You Coach Better?
Being a nutrition coach is a balancing act – between client goals, tailoring programs, and creating meal plans, it can be rather like the healthy eating pyramid.
But by sharing the skills, knowledge, and support that your clients need to make positive behavior and dietary changes, you’re essentially giving them all the tools to take a more proactive role in their physical health.
It’s a rewarding niche to be in, and one that also translates wonderfully into digital settings.
That’s exactly where nutrition coaching apps can be game-changing.
How Do They Work?
With all the right tools, there are more than a few ways nutrition coaching software can help you.
The core premise of nutrition coaching apps is that they help you engage clients, which leads to better results for both you and them.
At the same time, they can help you free up more of the time you need to scale up your practice and grow; for example, a nutrition software solution can help you:
- Reach more geographically dispersed clients with your existing plans, courses, and programs
- Design bespoke solutions in less time, more easily
- Stay on top of your clients’ behaviors and progress, such as their dietary goals, fitness objectives, and health indicators
- Store client details, such as allergies, preferences, and health information securely
- Build engagement by running campaigns, customizing responses, and sharing your promotions online
- Share your expertise between sessions with homework, videos, exercises, and lessons
- Streamline your client notes, with custom templates like SOAP or BIRP notes
- Share coaching notes with other providers involved in your clients’ healthcare, and
- Be available for your coachees at any time, with live chat, notifications, emails, and automated reminders.
In 2022, the huge demand for online services means an equally large wealth of specially developed nutrition coaching apps are now available – so you’re not pressed for choice as a professional.
For most professionals, the question is how you can pick the right one for your business.
What To Look For In an App: 10 Features & Tools
Picking out the best coaching software for your practice doesn’t necessarily mean wading through lists of features.
By starting with your needs in mind, your search will become a matter of finding an app that gives you all the right benefits.
And whenever it comes to online coaching, professionals need a few essential features; for example, a helpful coaching app should offer:
- Privacy and security. A good app will ideally be GDPR- and HIPAA-compliant, as this will allow you to use it for secure store client information storage and communications
- Convenient client touchpoints. Look for software that offers free, live, and secure chat, so you can check in with clients and give feedback between sessions
- Tools for content creation. The Quenza app is a good example of software that allows you to create and share digital client homework and resources in minutes. Using its Activity builder, coaches can quickly and easily create custom interventions, homework, activities, exercises, and lessons then schedule them for automatic delivery through the client app.
- Tools for structuring programs, courses, and packages. With Quenza’s Pathway tools, for example, you can build personalized programs in a few clicks and ‘drip feed’ content to clients on autopilot.
- White label functionality. Apps with white label features allow you to brand all your solutions with your professional logo, to promote (and grow!) your practice.
- Client portals. These are often free client Dashboards or smartphone apps that your coaches can log in to and view their updates, homework reminders, exercises, and chats with you. These are especially handy tools if you’re a nutrition coach because you can then use your chosen solution as a motivation app.
- Customizable templates. Look for a solution that will reduce your prep time by customizing coaching forms, popular activities, and more. Quenza Expansions, for example, include coaching notes templates, coaching agreements, and popular science-based exercises for helping professionals.
- Real-time results tracking. When you can capture your clients’ results live, you can give the kind of timely, relevant feedback that will boost your clients’ results
- Group coaching tools. Many of the best apps will support group or team coaching—look for features such as bulk client import, group messaging, and group results tracking.
- Secure file storage. A platform that offers secure file storage will help you find, edit, and share your solutions with clients from anywhere.
Let’s take a look at some top solutions on the market today.
3 Best Nutrition Coaching Apps For Professionals
We used the above list of features and tools to pick three options for this nutrition coach app review, so you can make the right choice based on your business needs.
|Quenza is a fully customizable client engagement app offering all ten of the essential features and tools we’ve already covered, making it a top pick for nutrition coaches.|
While it’s user-friendly enough for first-time online coaches, Quenza gives you everything you need to deliver engaging, professional, and personalized client experiences at scale.
|Good for||Business Coaching, Executive Coaching, Goal Setting, Progress Monitoring, Reporting, Client Engagement, Online Coaching, E-therapy|
|Nudge Coach is a smartphone application that offers live client tracking and group coaching features, making it useful for a range of health coaching niches.|
With this app, clients can add personal data such as their fitness plans, diet, daily routine, and weight for a personalized experience.
|Good for||Health Coaching, Wellness Coaching, Fitness Coaching, Nutrition Coaching, Personal Training|
|More info||Nudge Coach App|
|Simple Practice is primarily a telehealth app, but it can also be useful for nutrition coaches who store and manage confidential client information.|
You can schedule appointments using this software, but it doesn’t offer the same kind of templates or coaching-centered features as the others.
|Good for||Health Coaching, Personal Coaching, Nutrition Coaching, Telehealth|
|More info||Simple Practice|
Inside The Best Software for Coaches: A Review
To increase your impact, save time, and bring your nutrition coaching clients even better results, you need to know how your app can work for you.
Because Quenza’s unique design makes it great both for practice management and the coaching process itself, we’ve prepared some examples of how online nutrition coaches are using it as an all-in-one online solution.
Session Planning and Client Homework
From Quenza’s Dashboard, it’s easy to start designing lessons, courses, activities, and exercises.
To create a new activity using the unique Activity builder tool, you can drag and drop different fields to build personalized solutions for setting goals, motivating your clients, or sharing your expertise on fitness, diet, and lifestyle.
Behavior diaries, food journals, and exercise logs are all useful nutrition health coaching exercises that can be made even more engaging by using Quenza’s Activity builder to include your own audio messages as we’ve done in the example above.
All your Activities can be saved as templates for different clients, and even personalized with a few clicks each time you share them from the Activity library when you integrate tokens such as Client Name and Professional Name:
Progress Monitoring and Evaluation
As in this example, your clients will receive your Activities in real-time through Quenza’s free client apps for Android and iOS.
Alternatively, you can choose to schedule your exercises, quizzes, lessons, and program content for automated delivery at a time that suits you both best.
When they complete your Activities through their secure Client Portal, you’ll instantly receive their results in real-time in your Dashboard, all of which are private, confidential, and encrypted in accordance with HIPAA:
As this screenshot shows, your Activity library is where you can check whether clients are working on their Activities, as well as the content that’s Pending, Received, Canceled, Overdue, In Progress, or Completed.
Creating Coaching Programs
You can also create entire coaching programs, packages, or courses using Quenza’s nutrition coaching software, by sorting Activities into Pathways as we’ve done:
From your Pathway builder, you can decide when you’d like each step to be delivered, and edit each Activity before you share it with different clients.
Follow a program you’ve collaborated on together, or share Activities manually based on your clients’ pace; if your client needs a little nudge, you can use Quenza to resend activities, email reminders, or in-app notifications.
As you can see, there are more than a few ways to enhance your impact and gain more time with the right nutrition coaching software—it’s all a matter of what will make the biggest difference to your workflow.
3 Quenza Resources For Nutrition Coaches
Ready to try out a nutrition coaching app for yourself?
Here are three customizable templates (Expansions) in Quenza that might be useful for you and your clients:
- Quenza’s Coaching Client Agreement, pictured above, is a customizable agreement template with a place in every intake process. By personalizing this and sharing it with clients, you can lay out the terms of your coaching relationship in advance of your first session.
- Preparing for change: The DARN-C Acronym is an exercise that can help your clients create and visualize a plan to prepare for desired changes in their life.
- The Identifying Emotional Avoidance Strategies Expansion pictured below can be used with coachees who want to make more goal-aligned nutrition decisions. This exercise can help them see some of the subtle ways that they may try to avoid unpleasant emotions in their daily life, e.g. through self-sabotaging behaviors.
Shaping healthier behavior for a lifetime is at the core of nutrition coaching, and
By designing your solutions from a client-centered perspective, you can better align your services to meet your clients’ needs, preferences, and goals. With this in mind, choosing the right nutrition coaching app won’t be overwhelming—it will be empowering.
We hope you reading this article. Don’t forget to trial our nutrition coaching app with your 30-day, $1 Quenza trial for all the tools you need to take your practice online. With real-time client results, HIPAA-compliant communication, and powerful client engagement tools, you’ll have everything you drive lasting, positive behavior change in those you help.