Passionate about helping others be the happiest, healthiest version of themselves they can be? Energized by the idea of motivating others to unlock their full potential?
Personal health coaching is a highly rewarding career for anyone who wants to support, guide, and develop others on their wellness journeys. Read on to learn how to become a health coach online and what it takes to build your own business.
Before you read on, we think you’ll enjoy our $1 Quenza trial. Our personal health coaching app will help you design engaging, personalized programs based on your clients’ specific goals, so that you can help others unlock their unique wellbeing potential.
What is Personal Health Coaching?
Just as with any other kind of one-on-one coaching, personal health coaching is a bespoke development solution that helps clients make positive progress towards their goals.
Where business coaches support others with their organizations, or career coaches guide employees with their professional ambitions, personal health coaches work with individuals to help them enhance their wellness.
In other words, health coaching is “the practice of health education and health promotion within a coaching context, to enhance the wellbeing of individuals and to facilitate the achievement of their health-related goals.“
The range of goals that a coach may help their clients achieve is broad, but a few examples include:
- Diet and nutrition
- Fitness and exercise
- Stress management
- Weight management
- Tobacco cessation, or
- General health management.
Let’s look at a few examples.
How Does Personal Health and Fitness Coaching Work?
Personal health and fitness coaches help clients create healthier, sustainable lifestyle habits using fitness, nutrition, and exercise.
They adopt a highly individualized approach, understanding a client’s capabilities, history, and lifestyle, to offer tailored programs that help them achieve their health-related goals.
Coaches in this field may have certifications that allow them to provide dietary advice, or prescribe exercise plans.
What is Personal Health and Wellness Coaching?
Other specialists might draw from a wider field of psychological, life coaching, and behavioral concepts to help clients improve their health and wellness more broadly.
Where individuals want to improve their stress management, work-life balance, or develop better self-care habits, health and wellness coaches can provide the tools, guidance, and support they need to make positive changes to their lifestyle.
Personal health and wellness coaches may not have the qualifications required to provide specific fitness advice or develop exercise plans like a health and fitness coach. Rather, they may utilize techniques from related fields such as therapy, life coaching, or mental health coaching.
3 Things Personal Health Coaches Do
Personal health coaches employ a variety of coaching techniques within their programs, such as:
- Motivational Interviewing – asking questions that help clients explore and resolve limiting beliefs about their health, to elicit positive behavior change.
- Goal Setting – helping clients clarify their objectives, and potentially helping them envision success
- Collaborating with other healthcare providers – where clients are looking to better manage a health-related condition, coaches nay work with their dietician, GP, or therapists to promote enhanced self-management.
Because personal coaching services are highly aligned with an individual client’s circumstances, professionals also spend a good amount of time building client relationships and engagement levels throughout a program.
How To Perform Personal Health Coaching
To help clients get from A to B, most coaches generally offer bespoke health coaching programs or customizable packages that take place over several sessions.
On a day-to-day basis, professional health coaches create value by bringing these various skills together as structured solutions.
To help clients get from A (where they are now) to B (where they want to be), most coaches will generally offer bespoke programs or customizable packages that take place over several sessions.
Depending on your particular niche as a coach, there are three main approaches to this:
- Purely face-to-face coaching, where each session takes place in person
- Online personal health coaching, by delivering all of your sessions and solutions virtually, or
- Blended coaching, a hybrid of online and offline solutions.
If you’re new to coaching, the best model for you will be a factor of where your clientele is located, how you prefer to work, and the most effective way to share your solutions.
Becoming An Online Personal Health Coach
Virtual coaching has grown considerably in popularity in the past few years, mainly due to its flexibility and cost-effectiveness. But in a sector where clients and coaches have historically worked together physically, it can be very hard for new coaches to know where to start!
If you’re debating whether to become an online personal health coach, here is a general overview of the steps involved:
- Develop a coaching business plan. Getting a virtual business off the ground is very similar to starting a brick-and-mortar business – you’ll need a vision, mission, and some knowledge of your market.
- Choose your e-coaching tools. If you’re sharing videos, exercises, lessons, and other resources, you’ll need the right tools for the job. The simplest solution here is to choose a coaching software solution like Quenza, which can provide you with the vast bulk of these in one integrated toolkit.
- Design your health coaching solutions. Roadmap your first package, e-course, or program as a series of steps, then plan out which resources and content you’d like to include in each step.
- Build your program, package, or pathway. With Quenza, you can curate your materials into organized pathways that will make up your solutions. To deliver your content automatically, you can even schedule each step to be delivered to your clients at specific intervals.
- Monitor progress and build engagement. Once you’ve begun delivering your fitness package, wellness program, or health coaching course, tracking your clients’ results is the most effective way to monitor their progress and make any adjustments to their solution. Using Quenza’s real-time results tracking, you can know exactly when to provide clarity, feedback, or motivation to encourage their development.
Best Apps and Software For Personal Health Coaches
Online health coaching apps are designed to help you create and deliver your services in a way that’s efficient, effective, and user-friendly.
While it’s always possible to start a business with standalone tools (like spreadsheets, imaging software, and templates), coaching apps are essential if you’re planning to grow your business.
They can also help you in a variety of ways that many standalone apps simply can’t, like helping you create unique, practice-branded health coaching solutions and maintain high client engagement throughout your programs.
With Quenza, you have everything you need to become a personal health coach online and run a profitable, growing practice.
Just a few of the ways that you can use Quenza for personal health coaching include:
- Crafting highly personalized, unique coaching tools – either from your own materials or using Quenza’s time-saving Expansion Library
- Building packages or programs from your solutions – by assembling your coaching exercises, activities, and forms into step-wise sequences with Quenza’s Pathway Builder
- Automating your clients’ learning – i.e., drip-feeding your content to clients automatically on a schedule
- Monitor client progress – with Quenza’s live results tracking, you can keep tabs on when your clients start and complete activities, and gather their results securely
- Coaching groups – if you’re hoping to branch out into group coaching, your app is perfect for coaching classes, workshops, or cohorts
- Documenting your sessions – Quenza’s Client Notes makes it easy for you to create DAP notes, SOAP notes, and other useful templates – then store them privately in organized Client Profiles
- Promoting your content – by branding your solutions, sending emails from your own email address, and customizing your Client App in your practice colors, and
- Building client engagement – using Quenza’s in-app notifications to remind your clients about exercises, or checking in using live chat.
How To Become A Personal Health Coach
As we’ve seen, becoming a personal health coach requires a mixed bag of skills, from your fitness or wellness knowledge to the entrepreneurial skills that will help you build a business.
At the end of the day, however, it’s very much all about coaching. If you’re ready to motivate, inspire, support, and guide, there are purpose-built tools like Quenza that make the rest of the nuts and bolts come together seamlessly.
So that you can start developing others, and focus on being the best coach possible.
3 Certifications and Training Opportunities
Looking to get certified? If you’re going for a qualification that will help you stand out in your field, here are a few coaching certifications worth checking out:
- American Council on Exercise Health Coaching Certification: An ideal coaching certification for personal trainers, this ACE course is accredited by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA). Alongside key skills such as active listening, motivational interviewing, and goal-setting, this course will teach you some practical skills for growing your personal training business.
- Dr. Sears Wellness Institute Health Coach Certification: This Accredited and Approved Health Coach Certification Program requires no pre-requisites, making it great for first-time coaches. It teaches you about the lifestyle, exercise, attitude, and nutrition ‘pillars’ of fitness, and can be self-paced.
- If you’re keen to learn more about the business side of setting up your own practice, the Health Coach Institute offers two 6-month courses, an ICF-accredited Dual Health & Life Coach Certificate and an American Association of Drugless Practitioners (AADP)-accredited Nutrition Coach program.
Personal health coaching can be a very worthwhile career pursuit for anyone who is motivated by helping others achieve their unique wellbeing potential. And with the right attitude and tools, it’s entirely doable.
Use this guide to help you decide how you personally might create the best possible kind of value for your clients, or take a look at some Coaching Tools to start building your first program!
We hope you enjoyed reading this article. Don’t forget to begin your 1 month, $1 Quenza trial to start delivering your own professional health coaching solutions.
Quenza will help you share personalized, practice-branded personal health coaching activities, programs, and packages with those you help, and will give you everything you need to run your coaching business online.
- ^ Palmer, S., Tubbs, I., & Whybrow, A. (2003). Health coaching to facilitate the promotion of healthy behaviour and achievement of health-related goals. International Journal of Health Promotion and Education, 41(3), 91-93.
- ^ Everglades University. (2021). What Does a Health and Wellness Coach Do? Retrieved from https://www.evergladesuniversity.edu/blog/what-does-a-health-and-wellness-coach-do/
- ^ Butterworth, S., Linden, A., McClay, W., & Leo, M. C. (2006). Effect of motivational interviewing-based health coaching on employees' physical and mental health status. Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, 11(4), 358.